Thursday, December 13, 2007

To read or not to read

This may have come through in my last post regarding a certain article in a certain magazine, but just in case there was any ambiguity-

I don't really like bridal magazines. Yes, that even includes you:

Image found here.

I just don't get it. Nearly all of the information found in the magazines is available online- even the projects that aren't officially published find their way into the blogosphere. I must confess that I have purchased a few magazines (3 in total; two Martha Stewart and one Bride and Bloom- the latter which actually had very few ads), but haven't really found them to be particularly useful or inspiring.

Maybe this is because of the non-traditional nature of much of our wedding day. No need to worry about the veil, since I'm wearing my mom's; no need to worry about cake since we aren't having it. Poofy dresses were never really my style, and the bridesmaid dresses are from J Crew, so that right there eliminates 90% of the magazine.

I can't count the number of times that I have picked up a bridal mag, only to put it down, trembling in fear, and reached for the nearest Vogue instead- although it has just as many (or even more!) ads, the photographs are much more stimulating.

I'm a DIY kind of gal for a lot of things, but so many items in the magazines are really expensive, and that just doesn't fly with me. I'm also pretty against a lot of the "wedding industrial complex", which means that if a company advertises items that are absolutely necessary for getting married, it makes me want to run away as fast as my heads, waving my hands and shrieking in fear. For a translation:

Items like this:

If you must, inflatable wedding arch available purchase here; originally spotted here.

Make me want to do this:

Original images found here and here.

Seriously. Does anyone else feel this way?

1 comment:

MThornton said...

I agree that these magazines are almost zero value, nonetheless i find myself still buying them!