Thursday, October 11, 2007

Makeup?!?

I've always been a low maintenance sort of person. Maybe because my mom is that way, or I only have brothers, or because makeup and hair products cost money, and using them takes time...I'm not really sure exactly why I missed the whole acting like a girl thing when I was a teenager.

But when I started teaching, I wanted to make sure that I was able to look professional, and somehow putting on makeup in the morning made me feel like I was putting on my "game day" face, in a good sort of way. At the recommendations of friends, I went to the Clinique counter during their bonus days, and bought way more makeup than I thought was possible. I have since spent the last year and a half getting increasingly better at putting on my own makeup. (The big thing for me is that in the last month or so, I have finally figured out how to put on eyeliner without looking like Marilyn Manson. This is huge for me.)

The point of all of this is that I still haven't been convinced about the need for makeup. I mean, really- how much of a difference can it really make on a day to day basis? But then Calvin and I went to hear DJ Tiesto in DC. I looked at the photos, and while Calvin thinks that he looks like a mess (I disagree), we both agree that I look much better than I normally do in pictures.

See what I mean:

Shiny on the left for my birthday, and much less shiny on the right at Tiesto. (And my nose seems to keep getting bigger. Looks like I did inherit the nose that everyone on my mom's side of the family has.) Now I know that lighting makes a difference, but I tend to be shiny in nearly every picture of me. While I felt like I had on way too much makeup at Tiesto, in the picture, I think that it looks good overall. If you disagree, please tell me nicely :-)

What this means to me is that good makeup is essential for the wedding. I know, I know, I should probably have already figured this out, but makeup just isn't much of a priority for me. But the question remains- should I hire someone to do my makeup (anyone have any suggestions for someone in the Cleveland area?), or should I go to Sephora and DIY (or ask one of my lovely lady friends to help me out in this area?) What are you doing for your makeup for your wedding?

3 comments:

MThornton said...

I'm having a friend who is a certified Aveda aesthetician do my make-up for the wedding. I would say DEFINITELY get your make-up done! It really is important and will make a huge diference in the 800 pics you take that day. Defintely do a trial first to see what you like. All of the artists at MAC in Tower City freelance...

MThornton said...

Oh, also, if you're clueless as to who to have do your trial. Just choose someone in the store whose own makeup you think is pretty!

dahlia said...

Thanks for the tips! Like I said, I am totally clueless about this stuff.