Monday, September 17, 2007

Free Software, part 3

Part 1
Part 2

Today I would like to share with you about another free piece of software: Gimp. While slightly complicated to install- you must first install the GTK+ 2 runtime installer, and then GIMP, it is a pretty powerful program once you have it up and running. More like Photoshop than either OpenOffice Draw or Scribus.

Here is an image of what you see when you open a new document:

Note how you can very easily change the size of the document and the resolution. You have the option of RGB or grayscale coloring- no CMYK, which is what is preferred for professional printing.

Here is what I get when I hit "OK" to generate the new document:

The dreaded error. For some reason, as soon as I open a new document, GIMP crashes. Regardless of the specifications of the document. Now, this may because I haven't installed the program properly, or that I am running an older version of GIMP. I have full faith that when up and running, the program is fantastic, but personally was unsuccessful at getting it running. And I have other programs that suit my needs just fine.

I'm continuing to investigate other free programs that would be useful for wedding planning and life in general. Do you have any others you would like to share?

No comments: