Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The thoughts of an illustrious professor

I had a meeting with a professor this afternoon about my possible dissertation topic, and when I might finish my prospectus (i.e. dissertation proposal.) I casually mentioned that I would either finish it in April, or at the end of the summer, but the month of May was basically out because I'm getting married.

And then he started telling me about his wedding, and balancing families' desires versus the desires of the bride and groom.

(This was a very bizarre situation, because while I like this professor a lot, he's not generally the type to make too much small talk, especially about the more personal sorts of issues.)

He said, "Weddings aren't really about the bride and groom at all. Weddings are about the families."

I'm inclined to agree with him, since it seems like so much of our wedding is to please or satisfy our families. Even though both of us are really happy with how the planning is doing, if it had totally, 100% completely been left up to us, there are some things we would have changed. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Do you agree with the statement "Weddings aren't really about the bride and groom at all. Weddings are about the families"? Why or why not?

3 comments:

Veronica said...

I like to think that weddings are equally about the bride and groom as much as they are about their families. So many aspects of the wedding reflect the couples personal style but many things are setup to accommodate the family as a whole. I just like to think of it as a huge party; the bride and groom (with their parents perhaps) are the hosts and and everyone else makes it a party! =o)

Jan said...

Hmmm. I think the wedding takes on a life of its own - so that it is really all about everybody, but all in relation to each other, which, I guess, is one way to look at "family."

Bisous said...

This is exactly what D said. Talking to my mother has only helped reinforce this point!