Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Starting off the new year right

After Miss Jasmine's post about resolutions and Miss Bubblegum's post about Wii Sports, I thought that I would share one of my New Year's resolutions.

Normally, I'm not a huge fan of New Year's resolutions (why do you have to wait for a new year to start self-improvements?), but this year it seems like just what I need to get my butt in gear for the wedding. And by butt, I also mean thighs, abs and back.

You see, I had my first dress fitting last week, and it went really well. With my shoes, the dress is the perfect length as it is (anyone else who will be in the 5'11"-6' tall range with shoes getting a Jenny Yoo dress: you need the extra 3", but not the extra 6".)

Being made of silk shantung, the dress doesn't weigh very much compared to many other bridal dresses; the downside to the lightweight material is that all bustiers/corset/strapless bra contraptions show through the dress. At the recommendation of the seamstress at the shop, I'm getting cups sewn in and am using fashion tape.

This fashion tape is available here. It eliminates any possible wardrobe malfunction.

So how does this relate to New Year's resolutions? Well, over the summer, when I ordered the dress, I had lost 7 pounds. May not sound like a lot, but I've gained it all back since then. (This is what happens when you quite the gym cold turkey. Sighs.) This also means that the dress is a little bit tighter in the midsection than I would like. If it fits well there when I go back in March, I will not need any other alterations.

Over Christmas break, Mr Dahlia's mom mentioned that she was training for a half marathon (scheduled a few weeks before the wedding) following this plan. Since she always wants Mr Dahlia and I to run with her when we're in Cleveland, I told her that I would train as well, even though I won't be running the half marathon. Nice thing about the plan is that it only has 3 runs a week, with 2 additional days for cross-training. Works out well for me, since I've already scheduled in 2 days a week to swim this term.

Image found here.

To kick things off, I ran for 25 minutes this morning.

Anyone else trying to get in better shape? Want to do a check in once a week? I'd be happy to share my progress if you would be willing to share yours.

No comments: